The Mission of Canadian Dental Implant Training Centre [CDITC] is to foster excellence in clinicians, to skillfully provide oral implantology services in a safe, effective, and profitable manner. A framework for life-long learning will be developed through a comprehensive foundation built on the understanding of the history, fundamental sciences, and current standard of care in oral implantology.
The Vancouver Implant Continuum study clubs are surgical study club programs under the Vancouver MaxiCourse® umbrella, focused on continued support of your growing surgical skills. Each consists of clinical experience days and the optional benefit of participating in all MaxiCourse educational lecture. The optional lecture is similar to the exposure you had in the MaxiCourse (though our program is updated each year based on your feedback). All surgeries will be mentored and supervised by board-certified oral implantologist faculty members.
The key advancement in our Implant Continuum is an increased focus on critical thinking in the field of oral implantology and the study of current research and scientific literature. A more thorough understanding of treatment options, possible surgical complications, and expected outcomes will be examined as a group; this will include a higher level of patient documentation, the goal being to create evidence to assist in making future decisions on treatment options – evidence-based dental practice. The seminar-based discussions will be introduced once or twice during the year.
Prerequisites for both study clubs:
Participants must have completed an AAID MaxiCourse® program prior to registration in the Implant Continuum.
Our Goals for You:
- Reinforce the learning you received in the MaxiCourse by offering any and all lectures to you, to revisit and refresh your minds.
- Reinforce your surgical anatomy knowledge by offering the Cadaver module for you to attend.
- Refine your surgical skills by engaging in more challenging surgeries, as you continue to push your own personal surgical envelope.
- Fine-tune your treatment planning skills and preparedness and foster your confidence and growing independence in advanced implant treatment.
Benefits of joining the VIC:
- A smaller, more intimate gathering for case discussion, critique, and clinical observation – max. one mentor per 6 colleagues.
- Continuity & consistency of continuing education – continue to build your skills under the same high standards and treatment philosophy and with the guidance of mentors you’ve built a relationship with.
- Support system and camaraderie of colleagues and mentors alike.
Requirements & Expectations:
- Clinical camera – you MUST invest in a camera. Surgical photos are your own responsibility.
- Laptop that can import photos from your surgery from a camera memory stick or through camera cable; these photos are vital to case critique and proper documentation.
- Your own basic instrument setup [see appendix on 2nd page]
- Option to continue using advanced surgical instrument kits [see appendix] for a rental fee, or bring your own. Surgical sundries can also be purchased from Continuum inventory or brought with you.
- Cases posted to Slack a minimum of 4 weeks before surgery. Cases can be tentatively approved through discussion with mentor on clinical days, but must be posted for discussion.
- More rigourous treatment planning expectations [step-by-step details including time allotment for each step], as well as post-op photos and updates on case posted to our online Classroom.
- Cases will primarily be presented on the Classroom and approved through discussion online, or in person during the previous month’s program.
- Commitment to a full clinical day: 8:30am to 5pm for sessions at CDITC (7:30am to 4pm for Junior Continuum @ UBC)
- Commitment to following and contributing to case discussion on Slack.
Highly Recommended! Schedule your CDA to attend each of your surgeries to learn surgical setup / sterile field creation and maintenance. Assistant can observe surgery as well as the Continuum CDA staff and take notes/photos for learning purposes.
- Flat $200 fee covers our staff, your mentor, sterile setup, motor and hand piece, surgical gloves etc, and anesthetic.
- All equipment rentals [instruments] and sundries use [bone, membrane, PRF, sutures, etc] are an additional charge.
This study club is designed for new or relatively new grads of the MaxiCourse, or those dentists who are still building competency in surgical cases. Led by Dr. Jonathan Tsang and Dr. Peter Balogh, it consists of 5 clinical days, 3 of which are at UBC (run alongside the current MaxiCourse group) and the other 2 at Dr. Liang’s office. Dr. Paul Newitt will also support this study club when needed.
This study club is open to ALL MaxiCourse alumni. We will have 2-3 surgeries per day.
Clinical Dates 2023/24:
- Nov. 26, 2023 [Sunday] Canadian Dental Implant Training Centre, South Surrey B.C.
- Jan. 20, 2024 [Saturday] @ UBC
- Feb. 18 [Sunday] @ Canadian Dental Implant Training Centre, South Surrey B.C.
- Mar. 16 [Saturday] @ UBC
- May 25 [Saturday] @ UBC
Tuition: $6000 plus GST
Maximum number of registrants: 10
This study club is reserved for our more experienced alumni. Led by Dr. Bill Liang & Dr. Jonathan Tsang, it consists of 7 clinical days, all at Dr. Liang’s office / Canadian Dental Implant Training Centre.
This study club is open to ALL MaxiCourse alumni but is invite-only. Please either reach out to one of the mentors or one of the current members and they will connect with you.
Clinical Dates 2023/24:
- Oct. 28, 2023
- Nov. 25
- Jan. 27, 2024
- Feb. 17
- Mar. 23
- Apr. 20
- June 1
Location: Canadian Dental Implant Training Centre, South Surrey B.C.
Tuition: $8400 plus GST
Maximum number of registrants: 10
For more information, please contact Andrew Gillies or call 604-330-9933
To finalize registration, contact Andrew and provide a $1000 non-refundable deposit with credit card information, or mail cheque to:
Canadian Dental Implant Training Centre Inc
#227 – 1959 152 St, Surrey B.C. V4A 9E3
* Note that all surgical fees will be charged to the credit card on file. Credit card info must be provided to register.